Whether you want to talk to someone in person, make an appointment, call-up a librarian, or just figure it out yourself, we think we can help.
Ask a Librarian
Nova Southeastern University Librarians are top notch. We want to help you get the most out of your library, whether you need to find cutting edge research or just get around. Walk in, Call, write an email, drop into chat, send a text message, or make an appointment for in-depth instruction. | Ask a Librarian
We make brief, to-the-point videos that show you how to use our library like a pro, whether you’re just getting started or doing in-depth research.
Checking Out / Borrowing Stuff
- How do I checkout?
- You checkout materials at the circulation desk – on the first floor. You will need your Alvin Sherman Library Card. Unfortunately, we do not accept driver’s licenses in lieu of a card.
- What does it cost to borrow items?
- Not a thing.
- What about renewals?
- If the item is NOT overdue and there are no holds placed on it, you may renew it as follows:
- Over the phone by calling the Circulation Desk.
- In person by visiting the Circulation Desk.
- Online via NovaCat’s “View your Circulation Record” feature. You will be prompted for your last name and the number on the back of your library card.
You must renew before or on the due date in order to do this successfully, whether online or over the phone. If your item is overdue, you must pay any outstanding fines before renewing or checking out items (see below for details on fines)
- Do you have fines?
- If library materials are not returned by the due date, an overdue notice will be sent, and if necessary, a final notice stating the charges incurred for the item(s). Borrowing privileges will be suspended until all overdue materials are returned and/or fines paid.
Library blocks may be put in effect if the fines are in excess of $5.00.
Lost library cards will be billed as follows: For Broward County patrons $5.00 for a replacement card.
Fines can be paid with a personal check, money order, or an Alvin Sherman Library card (for the public). Charges for returned checks may apply. Cash and credit card payment methods are not available.
- Fees for overdue regular books and bestsellers are 25 cents per day.
- Fees for overdue audiovisual materials (AV) are $0.25 – $1.00 per day.
- Fees for Inglés Sin Barreras and Muzzy items are $5.00 per day.
- Fees for overdue reserve materials are $0.25 per hour.
- For Lost/damaged materials: the cost of the item plus an additional $15 processing fee. If the item is out of print, the fine is a $35 charge and an additional $15 processing fee. See the library’s Material Replacement Policy for more information.
- Checkout Limits
- For detailed borrowing privilege information, select your patron type:
- Placing Holds
- Library patrons may place a hold on materials based on the following:
- If an item is checked out, visit the Circulation Department, call (954) 262-4601, or go online at https://novacat.nova.edu/patroninfo to request it. Notification is done by phone or email when the item is returned, and it will be held at the Circulation Desk for 5 days for you.
- If an item is available, the Circulation Department will place it on the hold shelf for five days. Holds on available items can be placed online at https://novacat.nova.edu/patroninfo or call (954) 262-4601. Online holds on available items takes a maximum of 2 business days to process. *Please note that borrowing of items is on first come first serve basis.
- Patrons can place holds on Broward County Library items using the BCL catalog and they can request to pick them up at the Alvin Sherman Library Circulation Desk. A BCL library card is needed for the circulation of BCL items through the BCL system. BCL items will be held for only 5 days.
- All patrons have a maximum of 10 holds.
- Do I have to be a student at NSU to use the library?
- Nope! We are open to the public. If you live, work, or go to school in Broward County, you can get a free card! It’s worth it.
- Can I checkout if I forgot my card?
- Unfortunately, no. You need your card to checkout.
- Where do I return items?
- You can return them on the first floor of the library at the Circulation desk or in the drop off bins located in the round about in front of the library. You could also return the items to other Broward County libraries.
- Can I make a suggestion for a title the library should purchase?
- Sure! Here’s the form.
- Can I borrow materials from the upper floors?
- Yes – except the dissertations on the 4th floor.
- How many books/DVDs/video games can I check out?
- A total of 50 items are permitted for check out, 10 of which can be movies and 5 can be video games.
Online Resources / Ebooks
- What online research options do you offer?
- Many electronic resources, including databases and citation indices, are available on computers in the library as well as remotely. Forty (40) public workstations are located on the 2nd floor next to the Reference Desk where reference librarians can assist patrons with these databases.
- I am having trouble downloading ebooks/audiobooks. What should I do?
- You can refer to this helpful guide for help.
- Do you charge for parking?
- Public parking costs $1.00 per hour. For lots, directions, and more info, refer here.
- Is there a lost and found?
- Yes, most lost and found (except for library cards which would be brought to the Circulation Desk) will be given to public safety. Public safety office is located in the Campus Support Building.
- What type of assistive technology do you have available for individuals with disabilities?
- We have an assistive technology room located on the second floor which includes
- Magnification programs
- Screen readers
- Dragon speech-to-text software
- Can I check out a study room?
- Sure. We have 23 of them. You can reserve a study room in person or online.
- Do you rent out conference rooms?
- We do. Please call and inquire with the facilities manager: (954) 262-8823.
- How late are you open?
- Pretty late! Please refer to our posted library hours
- Do you have quiet places to study?
- Yes, we offer study rooms and there are also many desks and chairs available on the 3rd and 4th floor.
Getting a Library Card
- I already have a Broward Library Card, so why do I need one from the Sherman Library?
- We have a reciprocal agreement with Broward County Public Libraries, which means you can checkout a book there and drop it off here. While we provide similar services, the Sherman Library is the main academic library for Nova Southeastern University. We have a slightly different system and a *ton* of unique stuff.
Wifi and Computers
- Does the library have wifi?
- Absolutely. Instructions on accessing NSU’s wireless network can be found here. Staff on the first floor can assist you with wireless access. We also checkout laptops that are already setup for wifi.
- Do you have a fax machine?
- Do I need to sign in or register to use a computer?
- No sign-in is required for the general public. Library staff can help you log in to a computer.
- Can I play a CD-ROM or DVD on the library’s computer?
- Yes, but you will need to bring you own headphones.
- Are you tracking what I do on library computers?
- No. We respect your privacy.
- How do I print?
- Each registered NSU full-time and part-time student receives a print allocation of $75 (750 pages) per academic year (July 1 through June 30) through SharkPrint. Here is a how-to guide.
- All public patrons and guests will need to create a SharkPrint account and create their own username and password. When prompted enter your username and password after clicking “print”. Retrieve your document(s) at the appropriate printer by (1) entering the same name and password used to create your account (2) insert your NSU library card into the card reader to pay for the print job.
If you “do not” have an NSU library card please ask a librarian about purchasing a cash card. You can add more money to your card at a cash card station on the first or second floor.
- Is there a color printer?
- Yes. It is located in the MicroLab.
- How much does it cost to print?
- Five (5) centers per page for black-and-white; ten (10) centers per page with color.
- Is there a time limit for the computers?
- Yes, 3 hours – but you may renew it.
Teachers and Parents
- Can I schedule a field trip to the library?
- We welcome groups from preschools, elementary and middle schools, daycare centers, home-school groups, and after-school programs who would like to schedule a field trip. Full field trips with services provided by a librarian are available with at least six (6) weeks notice. We will customize activities to the age or grade of participants. However, crafts are not provided at any of these field trips. Contact Meagan Albright (954.262.5469) to plan a field trip that best suits your needs. At that time, we will also make sure to get you library card applications in advanced for your group.
- Can I bring a large group for a short, self-directed visit?
- In order to bring your class or small group to the library just for a self-directed visit to browse books and other materials, having no special services provided by the librarian, we ask that you call to let us know two weeks in advance so we can make accommodations for a little extra noise and foot traffic.
- What about high school groups?
- High school groups can absolutely arrange special trips to the library. Please call or fill out this form for Middle School or fill out this form for High School to schedule a visit.
- Can library staff act as proctors for examinations?
- No. Library staff will not act as proctors.